Monday, September 22, 2008

Me and Groo

I attended the MO-KAN Comic Conspiracy this weekend. I enjoyed it. The guest list included all the artists involved in creating Groo comics! I sat directly across the aisle from Sergio Aragones and visited with him a bit to tell him that MAD magazine helped form my personality. (He and Al Jaffee were my absolute favorites.)

I've always been a Groo fan. I had a letter printed in issue #88, from 1992. I brought the book to the con and it was signed very graciously by everyone-- Sergio Aragones (storyteller/artist), Mark Evanier (wordsmith) , Stan Sakai (letterer, and Usagi Yojimbo creator!), and Tom Luth (colorist). Great and friendly guys, everyone.



3 comments:

Kelly Bever said...

Kerry, what a cool book to get signed by the Groo crew! The one comic book I took to MO-KAN to get signed was a copy of Hanna-Barbera's LAFF-A-LYMPICS #1, which I bought new off the rack in 1977. At that time I was a 13-year-old who was "too old" for kiddie comics, but this one made me laugh out loud. Mark Evanier wrote it, and it turns out that it's also the first book he edited.

Of course we also bought that cool new volume of Halo and Sprocket that you signed for the kids!!

Kerry Callen said...

Hi Kirk. Enjoyed talking to you at the con. Also enjoyed your site at www.comicscareer.com!

Lizard said...

It's times like this when I really love the internet. Your writing on this blog is just so casually hilarious. And then I get to this bit and I feel like I know you because I read Groo and every letter published way back when! So I've been reading your stuff for YEARS!